Elephants

Elephants

Friday, October 9, 2015

Namibian moments in the words of students


Etosha National Park
By: Katie W, Senior, Washington

I gazed out the window as Big Blue rolled under a great archway reading 'ETOSHA NATIONAL PARK'. The day’s long journey was almost over and a new sense of excitement overcame us all. I could tell that my own awe of the landscape was reflected on every girl’s face. We all could not wait to see the abundance of incredible wildlife we knew we would encounter over the next couple of days. Amongst many herds of impala, kudu, springbok, zebras, hartebeest, wildebeest, giraffes, onyx and more, our bumpy game drives in Big Blue led us to remarkable sights of African wildlife.

At our first water hole visit, we were lucky enough to see a spotted hyena prowling around a giraffe carcass, hyena puppies, playful mongoose chasing one another around our truck, a mother warthog and her baby, and a breathtaking view of one of Namibia’s white rhinos!

And, as we headed to our campsite, a lovely black-backed jackal welcomed us to our home for the next couple of nights.

However, by far our most exciting event in Etosha happened during Tuesday night study hall. At 7:15pm we arrived to study hall at a dimly lit waterhole with the brightest stars imaginable. We sat on a rocky overlook with our books and crazy creeks. We found another gorgeous male white rhino lumbering through the bush before stepping out to the water hole to drink.

I periodically took breaks from my history reading to study the creature. About half way through study hall, I noticed a second rhino emerging from the bush into view. This rhino was different. She was slightly smaller than the white male, with two horns that were almost the exact same length and a small nub of horn protruding from its leg. I nudged my neighbor and slowly all of my classmates looked out to the new rhino visitor.

Well, we soon realized that the small nub of horn had a small wrinkled face and was peeking out from behind the larger rhino’s front leg.

Before we could process what we were witnessing, the baby black rhino stepped forward from behind its mother.

Some girls squealed or gasped in excitement of this rare experience, knowing there are less than 4,800 black rhinos left on earth. We had the ultimate privilege of wallowing in the cuteness of the magnificent baby beast and it's mom.

For the rest of study hall I just watched. Elephants came and left.

And sometimes the black rhinos disappeared from view but would make their way back for more water throughout the evening. When study hall ended we walked back to our campsite, giddy with amazement and overwhelmed with awe.

Our stay in Etosha National Park was unforgettable. Salt pans, hyenas, sand dusted landscaped, rhinos and more will forever hold truly special memories in my heart. And I am sure all of the other girls would agree.


Feel the breeze....


And, now a few Drabble Projects from Literature and Composition Class... more to come.

Drabble
by Chloe L, Junior, Montana

The Berries Stained Her Lips
as she ate.  Her outstretched fingers moved carefully between the leaves as her tangled hair framed distant eyes. She laughed when we whispered "run."
Shadows of blades covered the ground.
The dark mass of steel advanced.
Our friends were left mangled and dying.
Unmoving, with berries in her hands, she heard them pushing towards her.  "Run," we demanded, shaking our leaves. She had been gracious and now she was fearful.
When the shadows came they found only footprints and a forgotten handful of berries.
We watched as she ran.
Her stained lips parted in goodbye.


Drabble 
By: Pia S., Sophomore, Virginia

A Few Feet
were all that separates us. I shifted, angling myself towards you. We made eye contact, the deal was almost sealed, all I needed to do was grasp your attention or your arm. Your arm was in my hand -- the deal was sealed.  Still clinging to you, I handed you goods, while pointing out others.  You slowly set them down, one by one. Aware of this, I picked up more of my pieces, attempting to keep your hands full. Soon, everything was placed down; you advanced towards the door. Then you were gone, and all my items remained.


Drabble
By Emma O., Senior, Washington

NINE.
The sun beat down ferociously as we ran, flinching horribly at each shot.

EIGHT. SEVEN. SIX.
They crumpled to the ground in defiance. Hot sweaty hands boosted me higher as my shaking fingers scrambled for purchase against an infinite brick wall.

FIVE. FOUR.
Gruesome in his cruelty, he strolled down the line. I watched wordlessly as crooked fingers and vicious aim melded seamlessly.

THREE.
I looked at him. He stood tall, visibly shaking. Great salty tears streamed down a hopeless face.

TWO.
Strands of hair stuck to my neck in a cold sweat. Over the wall, my eyes met his.

Visiting a seal colony in Namibia

No comments:

Post a Comment